The Mindful Money Awards are an annual celebration of leadership in ethical and responsible investing.
The Mindful Money Awards 2022
The Mindful Money Awards celebrate the role that ethical and impact investing are playing in making money a force for good. They reflect the growing movement to re-orient investment finance towards sustainability and well-being, providing solutions to the mounting crises of climate change, biodiversity loss and inequality.
The Awards honour the funds and the individuals who are leading the movement to make responsible investing the new normal, and impact investing the progressive frontier.
Entries have now closed
The Mindful Money Awards ceremony will start with a conference to set the stage before the award presentations. The event will then wrap up with networking, with celebratory drinks and nibbles for awards recipients and attendees.
3.30pm Karakia & Welcome
3.40pm Video address – Dr. Simon Zadek, Chair of the Finance for Biodiversity initiative and former adviser on finance to UN Secretary-General
3.50pm Keynote address – Hon David Clark, Minister for Commerce and Consumer Affairs
4.10pm Panel Discussion: Harnessing mainstream investment to fund the climate transition and the Sustainable Development Goals
4.50pm Introduction to the Awards: Barry Coates
5.00pm Mindful Money Awards presentation ceremony - te Radar, MC
6pm Short conclusion and thanks
Networking until 7.30pm
Award categories and criteria
This year there are more entries, demonstrating higher standards and extending the range of consumer options. Ethical and responsible investment has become the norm for investment management in New Zealand and the entries to this year’s awards show significant progress in raising the bar.
The winners for the Mindful Money Awards 2022 are as follows:
Best Ethical KiwiSaver Fund Provider 2022
The judges were looking for the fund that provided the best outcomes across the main strategies of avoiding harm, improving investment social and environmental performance and investing for positive impact. They welcomed a strong field of entries. As KiwiSaver funding closes in on $100 billion in total, it has attracted new entrants and new approaches. KiwiSaver investors are now presented with options of around 330 funds from over 40 providers.
Winner: Pathfinder Asset Management
Best Ethical Retail Investment Fund Provider 2022
The judges were looking for the providers able to show evidence of ethical performance in their investments and engagement with companies in their portfolios. The judges were impressed with the degree to which the entries this year have deepened their ethical practices and increased their investment in companies that have a positive impact. Retail investment products amount to around $70 billion invested in around 425 funds from 50 providers.
Winner: Pathfinder Asset Management
Highly Commended: Harbour Asset Management
Best New Ethical Fund 2022
The judges were looking for innovation in a fund launched over the past year. The large number of entries indicates the growth of ethical and impact investment in Aotearoa. While the judges welcomed the increased focus on funds investing in companies with a positive impact, the judges would have liked to have seen more evidence to substantiate ethical and impact claims. Overall, the entrants have demonstrated innovative approaches and are offering more options for retail investors.
Winner: Devon Global Sustainability Fund
Best Impact Investment Fund 2022
The judges were looking for an impact purpose, a rigorous framework for measurement and examples of tangible impact from entrants in this category. The strongest entries were those that were able to demonstrate a direct contribution to impact through their investment. Examples included climate solutions, affordable housing and contributions to community-level impact within Aotearoa.
Winner: Purpose Capital
Highly Commended: Climate Venture Capital Fund
Best Net Zero and Climate Action Investor 2022
aThe judges were impressed with the wider range of entries this year, signalling the growing commitment to climate action by investment funds. They looked for leadership in ambition and commitment, but also evidence of action and tangible results. Most entrants are still putting their plans in place and the judges look forward to seeing more evidence of outcomes in future years.
Winner: New Zealand Superannuation Fund
Best Ethical Financial Adviser 2022
Financial advice is important, not only for financial performance but also for enabling clients to confidently invest ethically. While the financial advice sector has been slow to embrace ethical investing, there are some standout exceptions, including the finalists in this category. They have demonstrated the integration of ethical investment into their advice processes and set good practice standards for the sector. We are seeing growing interest in ethical financial advice, driven by client demand, and we look forward to many more entries into this category next year.
Winner: Ethical Investing NZ
Highly Commended: Money Matters
Best Media Reporting on Ethical Investment 2022
The judges were looking for excellence in coverage of ethical investment, resulting in greater awareness and deeper understanding. Financial literacy remains low in New Zealand and sustainable financial literacy is even lower. Education and engagement through the media are crucial and the judges would like to see many more entrants in future years.
Winner: John Berry & Stuff
Best Ethical Overseas Fund 2022
The judges were looking for the overseas investment funds, actively marketed within New Zealand, which are able to demonstrate the best ethical investment outcomes. There was an exceptionally strong field of entries. The finalists showed a mature approach and analytical rigour in their policies and practices, raising the bar for domestic funds. They add depth and diversity to the range of New Zealand funds on offer.
Winner: Pengana WHEB Sustainable Impact Fund
2022 Mindful Money Awards Timeline
Awards entries open:
Wednesday 30th March
Awards entries close:
Midnight Tuesday 3rd May
Wednesday 25th May
Tuesday 28th June
Mindful Money Awards Sponsors
We are very grateful to our 2022 Awards Sponsors
Interested in becoming a sponsor?
As a sponsor, your organisation will be associated with this high-profile awards evening on ethical investment which celebrates responsible investing as the wave of the future. The event will bring together leaders in the finance sector and major corporates, government regulators, media and opinion formers.
You will be associated with the launch of a major campaign to take responsible investing into the public mainstream.
For further information about sponsorship opportunities relating to the Mindful Money Awards contact: email@example.com
A robust and independent judging process is a crucial foundation for credibility of the Awards. Mindful Money consults widely in the sector to select 3-4 category judges for each Award category. Judges will be respected for their work, know the category well and be objective.
- Award entry documentation will be treated as confidential by the organisers and judges.
- Judges will be asked to declare any conflicts of interest and, if the conflicts are deemed to be significant , will step aside from the judging process.
- Each judge will volunteer their time without compensation and make a commitment to assist with the integrity of the awards.
The judging process will be robust, fair and focused on recognising excellence amongst the entrants in each category.
- The judges will prepare a shortlist of finalists and recommend a winner for each Award category. The shortlist for each category will be reviewed by the Judging Committee, a core group of experienced judges, to ensure consistency and integrity.
- The Judging Committee’s decisions on the selection of entries for the shortlists and the category winners are final.
- Judging scores remain confidential to judges and no correspondence will be entered into regarding the outcome of the awards.
Terms & Conditions of Entry
- An administration fee of $50 + GST per award entry is charged. An invoice will be sent to the contact details submitted with the award entry and must be paid by 31st May 2022.
- Entrants may nominate their own business, or others. You do not have to be nominated in order to enter the awards.
- All entrants must provide true and accurate information and disclose any liabilities such as business and/or tax related and/or current pending litigation, which could compromise the judges’ analysis of the business, and/or adversely affect the integrity and reputation of the Mindful Money Awards.
- Mindful Money will not accept responsibility for errors or omissions reproduced in award publicity material, or for work lost or damaged.
- Entrants should not make contact with the judges for lobbying or promoting their entry.
- Judging will be based on the evidence provided in the initial entry. Once shortlisted within a category, supplementary information may be required.
- Finalists and winners agree to being involved in publicity related to the awards, including photo and other media opportunities with sponsors, judges and Mindful Money staff.
- Category finalists must be available to attend the Awards event in Auckland CBD on 28th June in person, or through a representative.
- Mindful Money reserves the right and shall be permitted at all times to use at their discretion any material submitted for the Awards, on the Mindful Money website and in promotional and educational material for the purposes of generating awareness and publicity about the annual awards events.
Contact: For any enquiries about the Mindful Money Awards contact: firstname.lastname@example.org